Monday 1 December 2014

Christkindl Markt

It's the 1st of December and the Christmas Markets are up and running here in Munich!


I love Christmas, and this year I'm so excited as I get two Christmases! One in Germany on the 24th (in Germany the 24th in the evening is seen as Christmas, whereas in England we consider the 25th to be Christmas) and then on the 25th at home in England. On Friday I popped into Marienplatz to pick up some stuff after work and the Christmas markets were lit up and buzzing with people. After I was finished shopping I grabbed a hot chocolate from Rischart and went for a stroll past Viktualienmarkt down to Sendlinger Tor, letting all the Christmas spirit sink in.

Here are a few things I love about the Christmas markets in Munich:

The "Gluehwein" - also known in English as mulled wine. This is hot red wine (however you can find lots of variations also with white wine) spiced with cinnamon and cloves. It is exactly what you need on a cold winter evening.

The paper star lanterns that you can buy for your home - this is on my list to buy this year! They look so amazing, Here's a photo from last year at Tollwood.


The decoration at the Christmas markets are also amazing. Each stall is built to look authentic and wooden. Christmas lights are everywhere and the atmosphere is perfect. I didn't take any other photos on my stroll around the markets in Munich centre, but when I visit them again properly I'll take more photos.
What are your Christmas plans this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment